How do I register?
Go to our Sleep Out for Simon Registration page and follow the prompts. You can register as:
- An Individual organising your own Sleep Out,
- A Team organising your own Sleep Out, or
- As part of one of our Community Sleep Outs in Shop Street, Salthill, Tuam, Oranmore/Maree, or Moycullen.
I want to organise my own Sleep Out, do I register as a Team or as an Individual?
I want to join one of the organised Community Sleep Outs, what do I do?
To join one of our organised Community Sleep Outs in Shop St., Salthill, Tuam, Oranmore-Maree or Moycullen, you must commit to raising a minimum amount of:
- €250 for individuals/families.
- €1,500 for teams such as schools, sports clubs or other community groups.
- €2,500 for corporate teams
To join one of our organised Community Sleep Outs, please register here.
How do I register a Team?
You can register as Team here.
- Follow the prompts to fill out your personal contact details.
- Follow the prompts to set up a team or search for a team to join i.e. your school or workplace.
- Make sure you share your team page and invite friends or colleagues to join you to Sleep Out for Simon.
How can I get my workplace, school or club involved?
Fundraising as a team is also a lot easier than fundraising as an individual!
The best way to get involved is to register as a team (by following the steps above) and do the Sleep Out together.
If you are organising a corporate Sleep Out, why not ask your company to match the amount that you raise?
I live outside of Ireland; can I still take part?
Of course! Sleep Out for Simon is open to everyone, everywhere!
What is the best way to fundraise for Sleep Out for Simon?
What if I don’t reach my target?
Your target is there to motivate you and we ask you to make every effort to achieve your goal to support our work in protecting people from the trauma of homelessness.
We are so grateful for all your effort and the most important thing is that you give your Sleep Out and fundraising 110%.
I have reached my fundraising target, what do I do?
Amazing! Well done on reaching your target. Keep up the good work
Can I fundraise as part of a Team?
Yes, absolutely! Your individual team member’s fundraising will be added to your team page and your supporters can also donate directly to your team.
How do I take online donations for my Sleep Out for Simon Challenge?
We work with a fundraising platform called iDonate to help with our online fundraising.
When you register for Sleep Out for Simon, a fundraising page will be created for you, and you can share your fundraising page with your friends, family and co-workers by email, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter.
Your supporters can click on the link and donate directly online to your fundraising page.
Your supporters can also search for your fundraising page here.
Someone donated by cash/cheque to my Sleep Out, what do I do now?
To add offline donations to your iDonate fundraising page:
- Select the My Donors option listed on your fundraising page.
- Select the Offline Donations button.
- Select the Add Donor button.
- Complete the donor information (i.e donor name, message, date, & donation amount)
- Click the Add button to add/save the offline donation.
To transfer funds received by cash/cheque directly to Galway Simon via your iDonate page.
- Select the My Donors button on your fundraising page.
- Click the Offline Donations button.
- Click the Transfer Offline Donations button and complete the donation form provided in order to transfer any outstanding balance directly to the cause/charity via iDonate.
You can also submit cash/cheque donations online through our Galway Simon Community Donate page or post them to Galway Simon’s address below, please make sure to include your name (and your Team’s name if necessary) and reference your donation is for Sleep Out for Simon!
Galway Simon Community
Sleep Out for Simon
11 Sean Mulvoy Business Centre
Sean Mulvoy Road
How do I thank my donors on iDonate?
You have 3 options for thanking donors from your iDonate account dashboard.
1) Automated Reply to Donors:
- In your account Dashboard, select My Account to open menu options,
- Select Create Thank You Message to donors, and
- Complete the form to send an automated response email whenever a donation is made to your page.
2) Send a message to all past donors:
From your account dashboard:
- From your account dashboard select My Donors,
- Select Thank / Update All Donors, and
- Follow the instructions on this page to send a thank you message to everyone that has donated to your page.
3) Thank each donor Individually:
Similar to option number 2 above, from your account dashboard:
- Select My Donors and you will see a list of all donors on your page.
- With each donation detail, there is an option to send a Reply to the donor.
(Note** this response message will also show publicly on your fundraising page.)
How will my sponsors know that I’ve completed the Sleep Out?
We recommend taking lots of photos throughout your Sleep Out to share with your donors during and after the night itself. You can share updates on your fundraising page or share them on your own social media channels.
How do I get a free Galway Simon Beanie?
In order to get one of our much sought-after, cosy and stylish yellow beanies you need to raise €250!
Where does money donated through iDonate go?
All funds donated through iDonate go directly to Galway Simon Community. You don’t have to worry about this. It happens automatically. 100% of the funds raised go directly towards our Homelessness Prevention Services for those at homelessness in the Galway, Mayo and Roscommon.
Sleep Out Event
Where can I Sleep Out on Friday 30th September?
If you can, it is best to Sleep Out outside and brave the elements for the night! If you do not have an outside place in your home or workplace, you can always sleep inside on your living room floor, office meeting room, or bedroom floor. Please ensure your Sleep Out location is safe and secure and you have access to bathroom facilities. Please ensure you do not sleep in a public place.
- Community Sleep Outs: Events will be taking place in Shop Street, Salthill, Tuam, Oranmore-Maree and Moycullen.
- Team Sleep Outs: Your choice – home, garden, school, community centre, club or workplace.
- Individual/Family Sleep Outs: Your choice, home or garden.
What happens on Sleep Out Night?
What happens on the morning after Sleep Out Night?
There are no scheduled activities on the morning after the Sleep Out. We suggest you spend some time reflecting on what you learned and experienced overnight and share your reflections with your supporters. Don’t forget to ask for any last-minute donations!
Can I bring others along to the sleep-out with me?
Community Sleep Outs
Events are for registered participants only. Please do not invite friends, family (including children), colleagues, or bring your pets to the event. We do encourage you to recruit other individuals, corporate or community groups, to register for the event.
Team Sleep Outs
Please check with the organiser of your Sleep Out event. We would also encourage you to recruit other people to register and fundraise as part of your team.
Individual Sleep Outs
Participants organising their own Sleep Out are encouraged to have family and friends join them – it’s a great opportunity to engage in a conversation about what homelessness looks like in our community.
Do we have to take part on Friday 30th September?
Yes – Sleep Out for Simon takes place on Friday 30th September, and we are excited about recreating that special sense of connectedness we experience on #sleepout4simon this year.
Having the event on one night allows our community, business leaders, corporates, community groups and the public, to come together and help to raise vital funds for people experiencing homelessness. It also sends a message of hope to people experiencing or at risk of homelessness and allows us to all come together in solidarity as a community against homelessness.
What should I pack for Sleep Out Night?
The weather will be cold and potentially wet so make sure you are prepared by checking off the following kit list:
- Sleeping bag – cold weather and waterproof sleeping bag
- Thermals – layers are the way forward for staying as warm as possible!
- Coat, hat, gloves, scarf, thick socks
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- A fully charged phone – there will be no power sockets available for you to use during the event
What happens if the weather is bad?
We would like you to remain outside wherever possible, providing you’re not putting your health at risk. Top tips for staying dry are using cardboard, sleeping close to buildings to get some shelter and waterproof sleeping bags.
Health & Safety
How do I choose a safe sleep-out location?
If you are organising your own Sleep Out please do not sleep in a public space – this is to ensure your safety and respect the dignity and privacy of those who are genuinely sleeping rough.
We instead recommend joining us from your own location such as your home, garden, workplace, or at an official event. If you have a chosen venue outside of your home, please make sure you have obtained the necessary permissions from the venue owner or management.
How can I ensure that my sleep-out location is safe?
Before you choose your Sleep Out location, make sure to have a look around and consider the risk in the immediate area i.e. broken glass or rubbish. Consider where water will drain in the event of rain and avoid settling in a spot where water may pool.
What should I do if I, or another person, start to feel ill?
Your health and safety are of the utmost importance throughout the Sleep Out – if you, or anyone else, starts to feel ill at any point, please go back indoors.
As this is an outdoor event, please be aware of the signs of hypothermia. There is information about hypothermia and what to do if you think someone is suffering here.
We are here to help! If you have any further questions please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org